Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Medicine

I have had many people asking what our next step is. Well it's Medicine. When I tell people that I have to take medicine to prepare my body, they usually look at me funny. So if you're thinking "Doesn't your body naturally prepare for pregnancy?" You are not alone. So here's your answer.... Yes my body does naturally prepare for pregnancy every month, but this isn't your typical pregnancy. Mine and Abby's bodies must be aligned properly for this procedure to work. I had a friend tell me one time that our bodies are like nests. Our body builds the nest in preparation for an egg. If there's no egg, then the nest falls apart. So in this case, the doctors use medicines to encourage my body to have the perfect nest for the egg(embryo).

For almost two months, Abby and I have been taking birth control to help align our cycles.  Thankfully this wasn't difficult. Once we went on our visit to the F.I.R.M, they gave us the list of medicines for each of us.
Here's my list:
Birth control
Lupron
Progesterone
Vivelle dots

The Lupron shots will begin on Monday March 11th.  I will give myself a Lupron shot every morning. It is given in the thigh so I will rotate legs every morning. Lupron suppresses the pituitary gland. The pituitary gland produces the hormones that cause ovulation. Therefore the Lupron prevents me from ovulating. I call this the menopause phase. I'll get to experience the loveliness of menopause at 30 :).

In addition to the Lupron, I will then add Vivelle dots. These are estrogen patches.  I will begin by wearing 1 patch. I will wear the patch for 2 days then remove it and add 2 more patches. So the cycle is apply 1 remove it 2 days later, add 2 patches remove 2 days later. I will continue this cycle until I am wearing 4 patches at a time.  Thank goodness I have a calendar to keep me straight.

The next medicine will be Progesterone shots. The progesterone prepares the uterus to accept the embryo. The progesterone will help support the pregnancy later in the process also. These shots are what I am most nervous about.  The medicine is quite thick and they can leave good size knots on my back side.  If the medicine is thick, you can guarantee the needle is a good size.  So now you're wondering who is going to give these shots.  Well... I'm going to let Eric. He'll do great I'm sure.

So this is the medicine regimen for awhile.  The process is very detailed. Abby has her own regimen of medicines that she has to take too. Keep us in your prayers as we proceed.

Next up.... Your questions :) feel free to ask. I will make a list of the most common questions I have been asked in the past couple of months, but if you have questions I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment