Sunday, February 24, 2013

The 1st Visit

As I laid in bed the night before the first visit, I was so nervous. It's the unknown that is difficult. What would they ask at the psychological evaluation? Would the mock trial IVF hurt? The thoughts ran on and on. The morning came real early that day, February 20th. Abby and Aaron showed up at 3:45am. We headed down to Jacksonville,FL to the Florida Institute for Reproductive Medicine (F.I.R.M). Our appointment was at 7 am and it was a long drive.

When we arrived, I had to fill out the usual new patient paperwork. Then they called me to the back. It was time to give blood.  I am pretty sure they took 6 or so vials to check for every disease imaginable. Next, I met with the nurse coordinator. She ran through my list of medicines and how to administer them. I'll give you the list and their purposes in another post.

Next I had the mock or trial invitro and an ultrasound. During this process, the doctor is looking at the uterus. He wanted to make sure everything looked good. I was worried this would be painful, but it wasn't. A little uncomfortable, but nothing terrible.

The last step was the psychological evaluation. I sat in front of the psychologist as she asked about my family history, my life, and my relationship/friendship with Abby and Aaron. I think her goal was to find out how I would react with the change in control after the birth. Near the end, the psychologist asked me a series of questions that were required. I have to admit they were strange. For example, "Fold this piece of paper and put it on the floor"  " Write a sentence" "Count backward from 100 by 7s".  Next, Abby and I were brought in together and we discussed many aspects of the pregnancy and post pregnancy.  Everything went great I think.

Then we left, had a great lunch at Cheescake Factory and drove home.  We are looking forward to the next step. Next up.... Medicine



Kristi

Aaron, Kristi, Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment